Coaching for Creativity and Service Excellence – Aug 20th (Class is Full)
A Lean Coaching and Problem Solving Workshop with Karyn Ross (author, coach, speaker, and artist).
Note: This workshop at Standard Insurance on Aug 21st is FULL. This additional workshop at Concordia University provides additional capacity on Aug 20th.
Intended Audience: Lean practitioners and leaders who want to improve their coaching, creativity, and lean skills.
Date: August 20th
Time: 8:30am – 4:30pm
Location: Concordia University, George White Library, Room: GRW 203
2811 NE Holman St, Portland, OR 97211
Cost: $200 (includes a copy of Karyn’s Lean Coaching Workbook)
We learn by doing. This workshop is designed to give participants hands-on practice using the approach described in Karyn’s book, How to Coach for Creativity and Service Excellence: A Lean Coaching Workbook. All exercises are designed both to develop the participant’s confidence and to be used in the participant’s organization following the workshop.
Through learning-by-doing, participants will practice the basics of:
- Lean in Services: Creating Flow in Circular Value Streams
- Creativity: Generating new and better ideas
- Coaching: Challenging and nurturing people to turn ideas into better ways to work
- Why we need to focus on Service Excellence
- Why we need to focus on creativity
- Define the Target Problem using the equation Target – Actual = Gap. We will put this equation to use on a real-life problem identified by Concordia University
- Use creativity and divergent thinking to generate ideas for a PDCA Cycle
- Go to the Gemba to observe the Target Problem
- Complete Next Step PDCA cycles
- Conduct Coaching between each Next Step
- Share-back of progress on Target Problem(s) with leadership
- 1 – 3 check-ins with Workshop Coaches
Final deliverable: At the end of four business weeks each workshop participant will have completed the twenty-days of exercises in How to Coach for Creativity and Service Excellence: A Lean Coaching Workbook
Karyn is an internationally acclaimed consultant, coach and lean practitioner. She is the author of How to Coach for Creativity and Service Excellence: A Lean Coaching Workbook and coauthor of the Shingo-award winning The Toyota Way to Service Excellence: Lean Transformation in Service Organizations. Karyn comes to the world of business and lean from the world of art. A practicing artist, with an MFA in Sculpture, Karyn helps people rediscover their creativity so that they can generate creative, new ideas. Then she teaches them how to use Toyota Way/lean principles, practices and tools to turn those ideas into the services and products that satisfy clients now and for the future. Focused on lean for service excellence, Karyn works with small, medium and large organizations in sectors as diverse as insurance, financial services, HR, transportation, higher education and manufacturing. A purpose driven consultant, Karyn is passionate both about helping companies create more effective and efficient ways of working so that they – and their customers – flourish, thrive and grow, and about helping people reclaim their innate creativity so that they can solve problems at work, at home, in their communities and in the wider world.
Karyn lives in Naperville, Illinois and is the owner of Karyn Ross Consulting. She was the keynote speaker for ten international conferences in 2018, and ten in 2017. She speaks, coaches, consults and facilitates workshops all over the world, both in-person and remotely.